In actively pursuing social justice for all, JAA has committed to certain campaigns in order to raise consciousness and/or advocate politically for causes that align with our values. JAA’s first campaign, which was launched in 2012 is the Nuba Now Campaign.
ABOUT OUR CAMPAIGN
Omar al-Bashir’s government is waging a brutal mass-killing mission against the people of South Kordofan. As Sudan’s army fights anti-government rebels, an estimated 1 million civilians, mainly from the Nuba Mountains region, suffer from daily air strikes that threaten their lives and prevent them from growing crops. The situation is fast becoming one of the world’s greatest humanitarian crises BUT the international community has barely responded.
Read the latest on the campaign here: Sudan Peace Project Report
1. Talk - Like our facebook page, host a Nuba Now presentation, and help educate your friends and family about this crisis.
2. Support - Donate to our Nuba Now appeal. All funds raised will go towards CARE Australia’s programs in the Yida refugee camp.
3. Learn - Click on the links below to learn more about the conflict:
- Get updated in 5 minutes on the situation
- Global Parliamentary letter on Sudan
- HRW Nuba report
- Food Security Report by Enough Project
- Richard Marles in S.Sudan
4. Act by signing our Online Petition
JAA together with the Darfur Australia Network and A Billion Little Stones have created the Sudan Peace Project. Watch the video below to learn more:
IN THE NEWS
- Stand Up funds raised (The Australian Jewish News, January 2013)
- From Scopus to Sudan: students learn of atrocities (The Australian Jewish News, February 2013)
Mount Scopus Tzedakkah Captain, Cayleigh Abel, handed over a cheque for $1200 to the Nuba Now Campaign. JAA CEO Gary Samowitz (right), thanked Cayleigh for Scopus’s generosity at the launch event for the Nuba Now Campaign.